Furlong Hemiarthroplasty System
Furlong Cemented Hemiarthroplasty
The Furlong cemented Hemiarthroplasty system is a Müller type femoral stem that has been devised to incorporate the design features and clinical success of the Furlong primary modular stem which has an ODEP rating of 10 C. The cemented hemiarthroplasty stem is available in 5 sizes, designed to ensure optimal match to patient’s anatomy. It is Collarless, double tapered, polished high nitrogen stainless steel stem, designed to facilitate accurate placement of the prosthesis in the cement mantle
- 72 implants have been inserted into 71 patients by 35 different surgeons of various grades. No dislocations in any of the patients who had bi-polar hips inserted during the study period
- Comparable with results of total hip replacement without the risk of dislocation
- Results are significantly better than would be expected with conventional hemiarthroplasty in this group of patients
- The mean clinical rating score was 70% (Harris Hip Score 80.6). 86% had no pain and 90% were satisfied. This prosthesis functions well in the elderly patient with a displaced intracapsular proximal femoral fracture.
Furlong H-A.C. Hemiarthroplasty
Supravit H-A.C. coating and stem geometry are identical to the furlong H-A.C. hip replacement, which has an ODEP rating of 10 A. Due to this supravit coating on the H-A.C. the clinical results have shown that this is possibly the most successful uncemented hip stem. The Furlong H-A.C. Hemiarthroplasty can also be used on patients whom are osteoporotic bone and is far more cost effective compared to a total hip replacement.
Design Attributes and Evidence
- Modularity of the head allows later conversion to total hip arthroplasty without revision of the stem
- Use of Hydroxyapatite coated stem eliminates the need for cement and the additional cardio respiratory risks associated
- The use of the hemiarthroplasty with the hydroxyapatite coated bipolar furlong prosthesis for displaced intrascapsular fracture of the neck gives good mid term results in elderly patients for return to mobility, use of mobility aids and freedom from pain.