Furlong H-A.C. Primary Stem
“Not All H-A.C Coatings Are The Same”
The Furlong total hip replacement was the first in the world to utilise Hydroxyapatite Ceramic (H-A.C.) coating to promote biological fixation. Since its introduction in 1985 over 41,373 of the implants have been used by over 1000 surgeons. JRI have continued to develop and improve the H-A.C. coating and the way in which it is applied.
One of the most important factors is whether the H-A.C. coating is applied in atmospheric (APS) or vacuum conditions (VPS). When the coating is applied in VPS conditions it removes gas pockets whilst producing a dense homogenous coating, avoiding cracks and preventing delamination. Since 1993 all JRI implants have been VPS coated.
Supravit is JRI’s VPS H-A.C. coating. Supravit coating thickness is 200μm with a bonding strength in excess of 60MPa.
- A cone shaped prosthesis, as distinct from a wedge, when impacted causes “hoop stressing” which is well tolerated by cortical trabecular bone
- Proximal body designed to fit the metaphysis of the femur
- Hydroxyapatite ceramic coating over the full length of the prosthesis providing even distributions of force from the prosthesis to the host bone
- Universal stem that has equal susses in differing femoral anatomy
- Two varying neck shaft angles (133° and 140°) in conjunction with two offsets to accommodate the widest range of patient anatomies
Based on the clinically proven design of the Furlong H-A.C.CSF Acetabular Cup the CSF plus system offers all the same benefits but with some key improvements.
- Application of 175μm of rough titanium increases surface area by 200%, thereby increasing the coefficient of friction giving a superior scratch fit
- Push out tests have shown an increased shear strength at the H-A.C. to bone interface as a function of surface roughness
- The roughened surface increases the surface area of the H-A.C. for bone ingrowth for biological fixation
- Two shell types with differing internal tapers; the 18 degree internal taper is for ceramic and the 5 degree for UHMWPE